Do you have gifts of commitment, compassion, encouragement and teach-ability? Are you able to complete 50 hours of training time over 5 months? We are looking for people who are: able to listen, have a living faith, able to learn confidentiality and are able to meet Tuesday evenings.
Stats about Stephen Ministry:
What Stephen Ministry is NOT
What Stephen Ministry IS
- Treats individuals, couples and teens with weakened coping skills in severe depression, threat of suicide, acting out, etc.
- Legally protected confidentiality.
- Pushes toward a crisis, leading to a desire to change.
- Cares, listens, reflects, encourages one adult with coping skills interact through normal life challenges.
- Suggests referrals to mental health, medical, legal, financial, vocational, etc. professionals, as needed.
- We care, God cures.
- Two-way, casual, informal, goes on.
- Gives advice.
- One way, formal, structured, ends.
- No fixing.
- Superior director leads; you follow.
- Fellow Christian who involves and relies on God.
- Common issue (e.g. breast cancer)
- Has a plan for your recovery.
- Have humanity in common.
- Usually Christianity in common.
- We care, receiver directs, God cures.
CHURCH STAFF WORKER
- Comes in a crisis, a few visits.
- May work with a whole family.
- Periodic follow-up.
- Usually comes after crisis, visits regularly weekly, aprox. 1 hour, until closure.
- Bi-weekly peer supervision.
Interested in talking about Stephen Ministry?